I’m a sucker for theatre popcorn and enjoy the big screen occasionally, but I usually prefer to watch a movie on DVD or Blue Ray because of the extras like a peek behind the scenes of the movie being made.
The actors come and go when they are needed but the director is always busy behind the scenes; reviewing and editing and rewriting and all the stuff that goes into making a great movie. This behind the scenes, always busy working, is what comes to mind with God when I read about a particular exchange between Jesus and the Jews.
So, because Jesus was doing these things on the Sabbath, the Jewish leaders began to persecute him. In his defense Jesus said to them, “My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I too am working.” For this reason they tried all the more to kill him; not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God. ~ John 5:16-18
The Jews are upset at Jesus, again, but Jesus defends His actions of healing an invalid (John 5:1-15) by stating that His Father is always at His work. God is always working to bring about His story of reconciliation. Even when we forget that or get busy with other things God is still working.
- When we lay our head on the pillow and sleep through the night… GOD IS STILL WORKING
- When we give our attention to our jobs throughout the week… GOD IS STILL WORKING
- When we get a break in the routine to rest or recreate… GOD IS STILL WORKING
- When we get stressed and overwhelmed with life… GOD IS STILL WORKING
- When the report from the doctor isn’t good… GOD IS STILL WORKING
- When the bills outweigh the checkbook… GOD IS STILL WORKING
- When we just don’t know what to do next… GOD IS STILL WORKING
- When we are at the end of our rope and losing our grip… GOD IS STILL WORKING