Last Sunday I blogged about prayer being an essential part of getting ready for church gatherings. Among other things I encouraged you to pray for pastors and their families.
Since then, I’ve come across some rather staggering statistics that I want to share in the hope that it will spark us to pray more earnestly for them.
- 1500 pastors leave the ministry permanently each month in America.
- 80% of pastors and 85% of their spouses feel discouraged in their roles.
- 70% of pastors do not have a close friend, confidant, or mentor.
- Over 50% of pastors are so discouraged they would leave the ministry if they could but have no other way of making a living.
- Over 50% of pastor’s wives feel that their husband entering ministry was the most destructive thing to ever happen to their families.
- 30% of pastors said they had either been in an ongoing affair or had a one-time sexual encounter with a parishioner.
- 71% of pastors stated they were burned out, and they battle depression beyond fatigue on a weekly and even a daily basis.
- One out of every ten ministers will actually retire as a minister.*
I know that reading statistics can at times be cold and distant, but please don’t rush past this information. It is staggering and it is very real. Don’t assume that your pastor and his family are different or immune to such struggles.
Pray for them daily and ask God to lead you into ways of encouraging them. It’s all part of being the family of God and sharing the journey!
* Research was compiled from The Barna Group, Focus on the Family, Fuller Seminary, and the Institute of Church Leadership Development.
© Richard Alvey and iLife Journey, 2012. All rights reserved.